"Like" Dog is Family K9 Training for special offers, training tips, announcements and more!
Puppy Start Right is a science based learning program developed by The Karen Pryor Academy (KPA) of Animal Behavior and Training. The curriculum authors include Dr. Kenneth Martin, a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist,and his wife Debbie Martin who is a Registered Veterinary Technician with specialty certification in behavior and a faculty member of Karen Pryor Academy. Want to enroll now?
Why is Puppy Start Right Preschool so important?
- ALL puppies need puppy socialization! The ideal age to enroll is 7-12 weeks of age.
- The perfect time to start is when your sweet perfect puppy is still behaving perfectly!
- There is NO advantage to waiting, the window of socialization begins to close at 12 weeks of age!!
- It is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT things you can do to ensure your puppy's future.
- Socialization is not something that can be done at home or alone! Learn what it IS and what it ISN'T..
- Positive exposure to many new things can protect your puppy against future behavioral issues.
- Socialization is necessary for your puppy's ability to cope as an adult dog and, without it, can lead to lifelong deficits.
In Puppy Start Right Preschool you will learn to:
- Use positive reinforcement training with your puppy.
- Prevent and manage undesired puppy behaviors.
- Ensure that socialization experiences are positive for your pup.
- Understand normal canine behavior.
- Read canine body language.
- Build a lifelong bond with your puppy.
In Puppy Start Right Preschool Preschool your puppy will learn to:
- Be comfortable around new and novel stimuli, people and sounds.
- Accept handling and restraint to become great veterinary patients.
- Meet and play with different breeds of an appropriate age.
- Be independent. This is important to prevent separation anxiety.
- Explore their environment at their own pace.
- Learn to share or trade valued items (chew toys, foods, furniture).
Puppy Start Right Preschool Preschool Socialization Topics:
- Wheels and Children's Toys
- Health and Handling
- Costumes and Appearances-Sounds odd but you'll learn why this topic is important!
- Obstacles and Sounds
Puppy Start Right Preschool Preschool Prevention Topics:
- House training.
- Playing biting & chewing.
- Handling & restraint (to become a good vet patient!)
- Food bowl issues.
- Confinement & crate training.
- Independence training.
Puppy Start Right Preschool Preschool Introduction to Training Topics:
- Clicker Training to communicate clearly to your puppy.
- Leave it / Drop it.
- Leash Manners.
Want to enroll?
Stop in at Godfrey's-Welcome to Dogdom to register, make payment, and receive your program materials!